Shanghai to crack down on sex determination clinicsFebruary 25th, 2012 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 25 (IANS) Clinics offering illegal sex determination tests and gender-selective abortion in the Chinese metropolis of Shanghai will face severe punishment, officials said.
Clinics operating without licence will be shut down and equipment used for illegal medical practices will be confiscated. Their staff will facing criminal charges if injury has been caused to patients, the Shanghai Daily reported.
More than 10 such clinics have been reported so far this year in Songjiang district of the city.
Officials said low cost and easy operability of ultrasound machines and the profits unlicensed clinics make through sex determination services were the main reasons behind the clinics.
China banned foetal sex identification in 1994 as many parents in rural areas prefer boys and choose to abort girls, causing a serious gender imbalance.
- Migrants causing birth ratio problem in Shanghai - Jun 30, 2012
- Chinese firms probed for offering foetal videos - May 01, 2012
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- Sex selection to lead to 20pc more men than women by 2030 in India - Mar 15, 2011
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- China proposes harsh punishment to curb gender imbalance - Mar 14, 2012
- Azad reconstitutes Central Supervisory Board under PNDT Act - Apr 09, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Shanghai to ban unlicensed street food - Aug 01, 2011
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- British doctors face jail over fake abortion consent - Mar 24, 2012
- 23 Haryana doctors convicted for gender tests - Nov 24, 2010
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: beijing, china, city officials, criminal charges, determination services, gender imbalance, girls, illegal sex, medical practices, metropolis, operability, parents, profits, rural areas, selective abortion, severe punishment, sex determination, sex identification, shanghai, ultrasound machines