Shammi Kapoor felicitated at 10th Osians Cinefan FestivalJune 15th, 2008 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, June 15 (ANI): Veteran actor of Bollywood, Shammi Kapoor was felicitated at the 10th ‘Osian’s Cinefan Festival’ in Mumbai for his contribution to the Indian cinema.
The two-day festival of selected Asian and Arab cinema saw several Bollywood actors and film fraternity in attendance.
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan said on the occasion that Kapoor’s contribution to Indian cinema is great and he has set an example for many generations to come.
“The most handsome, the most charming, one of the most killing looks, still down the ages, women and girlstheir knees get weak when they see them. He is the ultimate hero, an ultimate pioneer,” said Aamir.
Shammi Kapoor said that it is an honour to be recognized by people after so many years.
The star of the 1960s, who heralded a youthful era to Hindi movies, said he was impressed by the collection of rare photographs shown at the exhibition.
“The photographs showcased at the exhibition are very rare. Even I don’t have them. I don’t know where they have got them from, it is really very humbling,” said Kapoor.
The festival that kick started on Friday had showcased 14 movies, selected from 160 entries. A collection of seven short films was also shown.
The 77-year-old actor has seen the journey of the Indian cinema from the days of the black and white era to the coloured cinema.
One still remembers Kapoor’s 1964’s musical “Kashmir Ki Kali” that inspired a thousand honeymoons with its shots of Shammi Kapoor trying to impress a girl with his trademark jerky dancing as they drift across a lake in separate gondolas, a chorus line floating in the background.
Shammi was born as Shamsher Raj Kapoor in Mumbai to noted film and theatre actor Prithviraj Kapoor.
He started out with serious roles like Tumsa Nahin Dekha in 1957.
Later he attained the image of a playboy with the super hit film, Junglee in 1961. (ANI)
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Shammi Kapoor, ever the loveable Bollywood 'junglee' (Obituary) - Aug 14, 2011
- There will never be another Shammi Kapoor: Yash Chopra - Aug 15, 2011
- PM condoles Shammi Kapoor's demise - Aug 14, 2011
- Veteran actor Shammi Kapoor is dead (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Shammi Kapoor, tumsa nahin dekha (Obituary, Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- President, PM condole Shammi Kapoor's death (Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Bollywood mourns lovable 'Junglee' Shammi Kapoor's death - Aug 14, 2011
- Veteran actor Shammi Kapoor is dead (Fourth Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Shahid to pay tribute to Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand - Dec 30, 2011
- Dad wrote manual for future generations: Shammi Kapoor's son - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, actor prithviraj, bollywood actors, chorus line, gondolas, hindi movies, indian cinema, junglee, kashmir, many generations, osian, osians, playboy, prithviraj kapoor, raj kapoor, rare photographs, shammi kapoor, short films, theatre actor, veteran actor