Shakira asks Brazil president to back kids’ projectsMarch 18th, 2011 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, March 18 (IANS/EFE) Colombian singer Shakira met Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff to seek support for a social work organisation started by her and other artistes from Spain and Latin America.
“It was a very positive meeting” and the president was “very enthusiastic” about the work of the Alas Foundation, Shakira said.
The singer is one of the sponsors of the organisation - whose name “alas” means “wings” in Spanish. The foundation focuses on projects benefiting children under six.
“It’s a blessing, for the first time (for Brazil) to have a female president, since there’s nobody like a woman to understand the problems of childhood,” Shakira said.
The singer gave Rousseff an autographed guitar for having it auctioned to finance social projects.
Shakira’s Brazilian leg of her Pop Music Festival tour will conclude in Sao Paulo, where she is scheduled to perform before a crowd of about 70,000.
- Former Brazil president Lula diagnosed with cancer - Oct 30, 2011
- Brazil cabinet minister quits - Feb 03, 2012
- Brazilian president gets flu vaccination - Apr 26, 2011
- Rousseff first woman to win Brazil's presidential election (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 02, 2010
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Brazil announces plan to boost exports - Feb 18, 2012
- Brazil's president says her cancer has `resolved' - Sep 13, 2011
- Brazil cuts electricity rates to spur economy - Sep 12, 2012
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
- Brazil looks to private sector to bolster infrastructure - Aug 16, 2012
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Brazil's tourism minister quits amid corruption charges - Sep 15, 2011
- Brazilian economy was flat in third quarter - Nov 23, 2011
- Brazil credit-card interest rate tops 300 percent - Jul 18, 2012
- Brazil to auction new oil blocks in 2013 - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,