Shah Rukh backs senior India playersOctober 24th, 2008 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 24 (IANS) Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan, a great cricket fan, could not suppress his anguish at the growing calls for the retirement of senior India stalwarts from international cricket.Shah Rukh said Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, Anil Kumble and V.V.S Laxman are great players with an outstanding record.
“They have given such immense joy to cricket fans that they should be allowed to leave on their own terms,” King Khan said.
Asked to comment on Ganguly’s retirement from international cricket after the ongoing four-Test series against Australia, Shah Rukh said: “It is his decision. Sportsmen like Rahul (Dravid), Sachin (Tendulkar), Sourav, Anil (Kumble) and others are great achievers. The kind of hard work and perseverance they have shown in their profession is amazing.” Shah Rukh told IANS.
“I believe nobody else should decide about when they should play, how they should play, and when they should go,” he said.
Shah Rukh, who is a co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders Indian Premier League team, said Ganguly will continue to play an important role in his team.
“I respect him too much. It’s an honour that he is a part of Kolkata Knightriders and he has played a key role in raising the team.”
- Wasim Akram was toughest bowler, says Laxman - Aug 19, 2012
- Tag of 'poor tourists' may haunt India again, fears Ganguly - Jan 11, 2012
- Former captains pay rich tributes to Dravid at BCCI ceremony - Mar 27, 2012
- India's cricket reputation lies in tatters - Aug 14, 2011
- Laxman, India's crisis man (Profile) - Aug 18, 2012
- Shah Rukh tries to put an end to comparison with Ganguly - May 15, 2012
- Team India imparts best leadership lessons: Anita & Harsha Bhogle - Jun 26, 2011
- Selectors should not force seniors into retirement: Sourav - Sep 21, 2011
- Don't force seniors into retirement: Ganguly urges selectors (Lead, correcting intro) - Sep 21, 2011
- Ganguly will add value to Pune Warriors, say former players - May 03, 2011
- Ensure senior trio do not retire together: Ganguly to selectors - Jan 15, 2011
- Rahul Dravid, a gentleman-cricketer to the core (Profile) - Mar 09, 2012
- Budding cricketers have lot to learn from Dravid: Ganguly - Mar 09, 2012
- Tendulkar is all praise for his 'Fab' teammates - Feb 05, 2011
- Dravid's return proves form and not age factor in cricket: Sourav - Aug 16, 2009