Sexting is official, you may retweet itAugust 18th, 2011 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 18 (IANS) Sexting has just got the official sanction. And joining it in the dictionary is woot - a word that, for the uninitiated, means an electronic commuication to express enthusiasm or triumph.
The latest edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary also contains words like retweet, which means to forward a message on Twitter, reported Daily Telegraph.
Then there is jeggings, which is a cross between leggings and jean.
Marconigram means a wireless message.
Sexting is sending sexually explicit messages through mobile phone and cyberbullying is to use communications technology to intimidate.
The media report said that new words were selected after being entered into a database of two billion words drawn from contemporary websites and texts.
“It’s how the dictionary has always worked - we get as much evidence as we can so we know it’s not just a small number of people using the word and it’s not going to disappear,” Angus Stevenson, the dictionary’s editor, was quoted as saying.
- Internet words 'bloggable' and 'scareware' enter Oxford Dictionary - Feb 24, 2011
- Sexting, mini-Madoff, Great Recession among 2009's online buzzwords - Dec 23, 2009
- Palin's 'refudiate' named word of the year - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Concerned' UK dad develops world's first Facebook bully alert - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Sexting' trend becoming increasingly common among teenagers - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Unfriend' named Word of the Year in New Oxford American Dictionary - Nov 17, 2009
- Indian-origin man shocked to find transvestism termed as 'abnormal desire' - Dec 21, 2010
- Graphic symbol for love is first to be added to Oxford English Dictionary - Mar 25, 2011
- Chinese slangs find way into Oxford dictionary - Sep 22, 2010
- Dictionary mistake goes unnoticed for 99 years - May 12, 2010
- Sexting teenagers more likely to have sex - Jul 04, 2012
- New Words Added To Dictionary in 2010 Gets Tech Oriented - Dec 19, 2010
- 'Tweetups', 'unfriend' added to Oxford English Dictionary - Dec 30, 2009
- Indian kids worst victims of cyberbullying, says study - Jan 18, 2012
- Cameron Diaz says that sex-scene in 'Bad Teacher' is not hot - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: angus stevenson, commuication, communications technology, concise oxford english, concise oxford english dictionary, daily telegraph, explicit messages, leggings, london, mobile phone, oxford english dictionary, report said that, sanction, texts, triumph, using the word, wireless message