Seven wounded in Assam blast, minister escapesApril 10th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, April 10 (IANS) Seven people were wounded, five critically, when a blast went off at a market place in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district Thursday during a public meeting addressed by state Minister Khorsing Ingti. The minister was not injured, the police said here. The explosion took place in Howraghat in Karbi Anglong, about 290 km east of Assam’s main city Guwahati.
“The bomb was strapped to a bicycle parked by a marketplace where Hill Areas Development Minister Khorsing Ingti was addressing a meeting,” a senior police official said on telephone. The venue of the minister’s meeting was about 300 metres from where the blast took place.
“Seven people, most of them either shoppers or vendors, were injured,” the official said. Five of the injured were in a critical condition and have been shifted to hospital.
The police suspect the blast to be the handiwork of the Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF) or the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
“Either the KLNLF or the ULFA militants could be responsible for triggering the blast,” the official said.
The KLNLF is a rag tag rebel outfit fighting for a homeland for the majority Karbi tribe in Karbi Anglong district of Assam.
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- 28 wounded in Assam blast, minister escapes unhurt - Apr 10, 2008
- Three militants killed in Assam gunfights - May 19, 2010
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- PM to address public meeting in Dibrugarh today - Apr 07, 2009
- Nine injured in Assam market blast, three ULFA killed - Dec 06, 2008
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Militant's surrender brings new hope for peace in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Karbi militants behind forest officials' abduction: Minister - Mar 05, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Karbi militant chief believed killed - May 07, 2012
Tags: assam, bicycle, bomb, critical condition, development minister, escapes, explosion, handiwork, hill areas, karbi anglong, marketplace, national liberation front, police official, rag tag, shoppers, state minister, tribe, ulfa militants, united liberation front, venue