Seven Kurdish separatists killed in TurkeyApril 2nd, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by admin
Ankara, April 2 (DPA) Seven Kurdish separatists were killed in clashes with Turkish soldiers in south-east Turkey, bringing the toll from two days of fighting near the border with Iraq to 19, the Turkish General Staff announced Wednesday. The clashes took place Tuesday night in Bestler and Dereber districts of Sirnak, according to the General Staff.
On Monday night nine Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) guerrillas and three Turkish soldiers were killed in fighting in the same region.
Five Turkish soldiers were also injured during the fighting Monday night.
Turkish troops have been carrying out operations inside Turkey following the ending of “Operation Gunes” Feb 29, which saw up to 10,000 soldiers sent across the border to seek out Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels and their camps.
According to the Turkish military, 240 PKK fighters, 24 Turkish soldiers and three state-employed village guards were killed in the weeklong operation.
Ankara blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 32,000 people since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated southeast of Turkey.
The PKK is listed by the US and the European Union as a terrorist group.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- 10 Turkish soldiers, 10 PKK rebels killed in clashes - Oct 16, 2008
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in Iraq - Apr 16, 2008
- Troops kill 11 Kurdish separatists in Turkey - Mar 13, 2008
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Turkish troops continue Iraq offensive - Feb 26, 2008
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: 1980s, ankara, autonomy, bestler, clashes, dpa, feb 29, guerrillas, kurdish workers party, monday night, pkk, rebels, separatist group, sirnak, south east turkey, terrorist group, tuesday night, turkish general staff, turkish soldiers, turkish troops