Seven killed in suicide attack in PakistanApril 18th, 2010 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 18 (DPA) A suicide car bomber struck a police building in northwestern Pakistan Sunday, killing at least seven people, police said.
The early morning attack at the Saddar police station, in the garrison town of Kohat, came a day after twin suicide bombings left at least 41 people dead in a nearby refugee camp.
Kohat’s senior police officer Abdullah Khan said the bomber detonated his vehicle outside the police station, damaging several buildings in the area.
“Seven people including a child have been killed and more than 25 others wounded,” Khan said, adding that least four policemen were injured.
Investigators suspected that up to 250 kg of explosives was used in the bomb, which left a crater about two metres deep on the road, according to Geo News television channel.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but Taliban militants have struck several government and civilian targets in recent months to avenge military operations against them in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.
Pakistani troops launched an offensive in the Orakzai tribal district last month, aimed at al-Qaeda-linked insurgents who had fled to the region after a separate offensive in their stronghold of South Waziristan in October.
- Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan claims responsibility for Kohat car bomb attack - Apr 19, 2010
- Five policemen among seven killed, over 25 injured in Kohat suicide blast - Apr 18, 2010
- 38 killed in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Suicide bombing in Pakistan kills 27, injures 90 (Fourth Lead) - Dec 15, 2009
- 41 killed in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Car bombings kill 13 in northwestern Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Suicide bomber kills 12 at Pakistan police offices (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- Twelve killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Sep 02, 2012
- 21 killed in suicide blast in Pakistan's northwest - Apr 19, 2010
- UN condemns attack on Pakistan relief camp - Apr 18, 2010
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: abdullah khan, car bomber, civilian targets, garrison town, geo news, militants, military operations, news television, northwestern pakistan, pakistan islamabad, pakistani troops, police station, policemen, refugee camp, south waziristan, stronghold, suicide attack, suicide bombings, television channel, tribal areas