Seven killed in Mexico violenceJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 9:09 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 23 (IANS/EFE) At least seven people died in a gun battle between government security forces and suspected drug cartel enforcers in the northern Mexican state of San Luis Potosi, officials said.The clash occurred on a stretch of the Mexico City-Nuevo Laredo highway and left five suspected mobsters and one police officer dead.
A person held captive by the gunmen apparently had been shot dead before the gun battle.
In a separate incident, two police investigators were killed Friday and another was seriously wounded when they came under attack by several men riding in a vehicle in the northern city of Chihuahua, capital of the like-named northern state.
State police officers were inspecting a vehicle with bloodstains when the gunmen arrived and fired numerous rounds, the spokesman for the Chihuahua state Attorney General’s Office, Carlos Gonzalez, said.
Mexico is home to seven large drug cartels that are embroiled in fierce turf battles for control of local markets and smuggling routes to the US, including the powerful Sinaloa mob headed by Joaquin “El Chapo” (Shorty) Guzman, Mexico’s most-wanted fugitive.
The gangs also frequently clash with security forces that try to crack down on their operations.
The drug war has left more than 34,000 dead since late 2006, when President Felipe Calderon took office and militarized the struggle against the cartels.
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- 5 Bodies found hanging from bridges in Mexican city - Mar 01, 2011
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Five slain at Mexican hospital - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: bloodstains, carlos gonzalez, chihuahua state, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug war, el chapo, enforcers, government security forces, gun battle, local markets, mexico city, mobsters, nuevo laredo, police investigators, president felipe calderon, sinaloa, state attorney general, state police officers, turf battles