Seven killed in Iraq suicide bombingApril 11th, 2009 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, April 11 (Xinhua) At least seven people were killed and 22 injured in a suicide bombing in south of Baghdad Saturday, an interior ministry source said.
A suicide bomber blew up his explosive-vest among a gathering of Awakening Council fighters in Iskandiyah, a town some 50 km south of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The Awakening Council groups are mostly the Sunni insurgent groups who turned their rifles against the Al Qaeda militants and are now providing security to their areas.
According to the source, the US and Iraqi government troops backed fighters were gathering at a military base in the town to collect their salaries when the suicide bomber struck.
The victims were both from the Iraqi Army soldiers and Awakening Council group fighters.
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 43 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
- Six killed in Iraq's twin blasts - Oct 03, 2011
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- 36 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
- Three killed in Iraq bombing - Dec 26, 2011
- 40 killed in suicide attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- Two anti-Al Qaeda women gunned down in Iraq - Jan 28, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda militants, anonymity, army soldiers, baghdad, council group, council groups, government troops, insurgent groups, interior ministry, iraqi army, iraqi government, military base, ministry source, rifles, salaries, suicide bomber, suicide bombing, vest, xinhua