Seven killed in Afghan suicide blast (Lead)May 28th, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 28 (IANS) At least seven people, including two top police officers and three German soldiers, were killed and nine others, including a provincial governor, were injured when a Taliban suicide bomber targeted the governor’s office in northern Afghanistan Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Abdul Jabbar Taqwa, governor of Takhar province, was injured in the suicide blast in Taluqan city, said Faizullah Tawhidi, spokesman for the governor.
“It was a suicide bombing in the governor’s office where a security meeting was under way at 4.30 p.m., as a result of which seven people, including police chief of northern region General Mohammad Daud Daud, provincial police chief Shah Jahan Nuri and three German soldiers with the NATO-led troops, were killed,” Tawhidi told Xinhua.
Eight other people were injured, he said.
A Taliban spokesman named Zabihullah Mujahid speaking by telephone from an undisclosed location claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that a Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up inside the governor’s office.
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- Afghan province governor injured in suicide blast - May 28, 2011
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 16 killed in attack on Afghan governor's office - Aug 14, 2011
- 20 killed in Afghan suicide attack - Dec 25, 2011
- 95 killed in Afghan poll violence (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Five policemen killed in Afghan blast - Sep 02, 2012
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Governor among 15 killed in Afghanistan mosque blast - Oct 08, 2010
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Six kids hurt in Afghan suicide bombing - May 20, 2012
- Three American troops killed in eastern Afghanistan - Jun 01, 2011
- 12 killed in Afghan protest over civilian killings - May 18, 2011
Tags: german soldiers, kabul, mohammad, nato, northern afghanistan, nuri, police chief, police officers, provincial governor, provincial police, shah jahan, suicide bomber, suicide bombing, taliban, taliban spokesman, undisclosed location, xinhua