Seven killed as storm sweeps across NepalMay 3rd, 2009 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 3 (DPA) At least seven people were killed and dozens injured by a storm which struck many places in Nepal, officials said Sunday.
In Rautahat district, about 120 km southeast of the capital Kathmandu, at least five people, including four children, were killed when they were crushed by a roof which collapsed after the storm hit the area, the police said.
“The five were crushed by a falling roof after their homes were damaged by the strong winds,” said Ghananand Bhatta, Superintendent of Police of Rautahat district. “More than 70 people were injured either by flying debris or were caught in collapsed houses.”
Police said nearly 400 houses in four villages were damaged by the storm which hit the district early Sunday morning.
Two more people died in Gorkha district, about 120 km west of Kathmandu, when they were struck by lightning. In the eastern district of Mohattari, seven students were injured in a wall collapse.
The country’s meterological department said the storm system had now moved away into northeastern India.
“The storm was produced by a major system which affected much of the country Saturday night and Sunday morning,” meteorologist K.B. Malla said. “It was accompanied by strong winds and heavy rains in some areas.”
Malla estimated that wind gusts of up to 60 km per hour accompanied the storm, but said a full report was only expected later Sunday.
- 15 killed as storm sweeps across Nepal (Lead) - May 03, 2009
- Storm leaves 12 dead in Argentina - Apr 06, 2012
- Nine killed, 200 injured in dust storm in UP - Apr 12, 2012
- Storm knocks Washington powerless (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Storm kills three, damages many houses in Tripura - Apr 08, 2012
- Five children killed Maharashtra roof collapse - Jun 12, 2010
- Biggest quake in 80 years kills nine in Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Thunderstorm kills two in Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Thunderstorms, lightning leave 42 dead in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Six die as rains lash Pakistan province - Sep 02, 2011
- Two electrocuted in Karachi dust storm - May 20, 2012
- Two killed in fireworks factory blast in UP - May 28, 2012
- Two killed, 50 injured as thunderstorm lashes Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Thunderstorms kills 37 in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
Tags: collapsed houses, debris, dozens, early sunday morning, four villages, heavy rains, kathmandu, lightning, malla, meteorologist, nepal, northeastern india, saturday night and sunday morning, storm system, strong winds, superintendent, sweeps, wall collapse, wind gusts