Seven killed, 20 injured in three attacks in Iraq (Lead)October 20th, 2008 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Oct 19 (DPA) Gunmen killed five people, including an Awakening Council leader in a raid on his house in northern Iraq, while two civilians were killed in an explosion in Baghdad Sunday, according to local media reports.The gunmen forced their way into Awakenings leader Amer Gassem Khadir’s house, killing him and four others in Salahaddin province, a police source told the Voices of Iraq (VOI) news agency.
The gunmen escaped after destroying part of the house.
Two women and a child were injured in the raid. It was not specified if the casualties were members of the same family.
Awakening Councils consist of armed tribal Sunnis who have fought alongside US military forces against the Al Qaeda terrorist network.
Separately, two civilians were killed and 10 were injured when a bomb went off in Baghdad, a police source said.
The bomb went off near a petrol station in Zafaraniya district, the police source told the VOI news agency.
Also in Baghdad, seven people were injured in an attack in the southeastern district of Zafaraniya, VOI reported.
The blast hit an Iraqi police patrol. Three policemen were among the injured.
Meanwhile, tribal police found a mass grave containing 11 decayed bodies in Samara, 120 km northeast of Baghdad, Awakening Council commander Sheikh Khaled Fleih Hassan told VOI.
One of the bodies was identified as the son of the former chief of Samara municipal council.
It was believed that the 11 were kidnapped by the Al Qaeda terrorist network and shot dead last year.
The bodies were taken to Samara public hospital to be handed over to their relatives.
- Five killed, 10 injured in two separate attacks in Iraq - Oct 20, 2008
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Two anti-Al Qaeda women gunned down in Iraq - Jan 28, 2012
- Eight killed in Iraq attacks - Jun 18, 2010
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 04, 2011
- 17 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Iraqi police kill female suicide bomber - Oct 18, 2008
- Two killed, 15 wounded in Iraq attacks - Dec 20, 2011
- Gunmen kill 25 in Iraqi village - Apr 03, 2010
- 15 die in Iraq - Jul 23, 2012
- 13 killed in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 06, 2012