Seven injured in violent clash in Queens area Sikh templeApril 26th, 2011 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 26 (ANI): At least seven persons were injured during a violent clash inside a Sikh temple in New York’s Queens area on Monday.
According to The New York Times, a group of worshippers disrupted a prayer session by attacking their rivals with swords and cricket bats, police and witnesses said.
The dispute reached a bloody climax yesterday when the infighting turned violent, accompanied by screams, taunts and death threats.
The paper quoted witnesses as saying that attackers, armed with swords, were part of the old guard that was recently voted out of power.
At least seven others were hurt, but no one suffered life-threatening injuries.
“We just went to pray. We walked inside, and they started attacking. They cut me. They tried to cut my arm off, but the sword got caught on [something]. I’m very lucky,” a victim who suffered head injury said. (ANI)
- Sikh pray for peace outside violence hit Queens area Sikh temple - May 02, 2011
- Annual Sikh Day 'free food' distribution overshadows Queens' temple tensions - May 02, 2011
- Power struggle led to violent attack in Queens area Sikh temple - Apr 27, 2011
- Suicide blast in Indonesian mosque injures 28 - Apr 15, 2011
- Top US law official calls gurdwara shooting a hate crime - Aug 11, 2012
- Armed with swords, Sikhs guard British gurdwaras (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Deadly Denver shooting at Batman premiere kills 12 (Night Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Bones of gladiator provide clues to York's Roman amphitheatre - Dec 11, 2010
- Was the gurdwara shooter a white supremacist? (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Bollywood condemns gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- US senators call for Sikh hate crime tracking - Aug 24, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Let Sikhs wear turban, beard: New York official - Aug 13, 2012
- Hundreds honour US gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 11, 2012
- Hospital stay could be long: Amitabh tweets as fresh complications arise (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: attackers, climax, cricket bats, death threats, head injury, infighting, life threatening injuries, new york times, prayer session, queens area, rivals, screams, seven persons, sikh temple, sword, swords, taunts, violent clash, worshippers