Seven girls raped at summer camp in MexicoJuly 16th, 2012 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 16 (IANS/EFE) Seven girls were raped and a number of boys were beaten by assailants who attacked a summer camp in central Mexico last week, authorities said.
The incident occurred Thursday night at the camp in Ixtapaluca, a city in Mexico state, the Mexico state Attorney General’s Office said.
About 90 children and teenagers had been camping in the area since Monday, the AG’s office said.
The camp director notified the prosecutor’s office in Ixtapaluca Friday morning that about a dozen armed people had attacked the camp the night before, the AG’s office said.
“The armed group held the campers for several hours. During the time they were at the place, they sexually abused seven minor females and beat several young men,” the AG’s office said in a statement.
The assailants stole personal items and two vehicles before leaving the camp, prosecutors said.
The victims will be provided with legal, medical and psychological assistance, Mexico state Gov. Eruviel Avila said.
The perpetrators will be found and given “punishment that makes an example of them”, the governor said.
- 17 held in Mexico summer camp attack - Jul 20, 2012
- Journalist kidnapped in Mexico - May 19, 2012
- Seven members of family found dead in Mexico - Aug 14, 2012
- Mexican mayor dies from stroke after ambush - Nov 08, 2010
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Seven beheaded in Mexican town - Jul 13, 2012
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- Mexico, China seal extradition treaty - Jun 12, 2012
- Six killed in Mexico violence - Apr 27, 2010
- Mexican governor's nephew slain - Nov 12, 2011
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- Eight mechanics shot dead in garage in Mexico - May 19, 2011
Tags: armed group, assailants, avila, camp director, campers, central mexico, females, friday morning, mexico city, mexico mexico, mexico state, perpetrators, prosecutor, prosecutors, psychological assistance, seven girls, state attorney general, state gov, summer camp, thursday night