Seven drug cartel members nabbed in MexicoAugust 17th, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 17 (IANS) Seven members of a notorious drug cartel have been arrested in Mexico City, EFE news agency reported Sunday, quoting a federal official. The arrest of the suspected hired killers, members of Los Zetas, the fearsome armed wing of the Gulf drug cartel, were made Thursday night during a police operation in the southern neighbourhood of Mexico City.
Among those arrested was Alfredo Rangel Buendia, identified as a henchman of Heriberto “The Executioner” Lazcano, presumed head of Los Zetas in the Mexican capital. He is also believed to be the head of the group operating in areas like, Michoacan, Nuevo Leon and Oaxaca.
Los Zetas is a criminal group set up by deserters of the elite Mexican military units who allied themselves with the Gulf cartel. In recent months they have joined the Beltran Leyva brother, who broke with the Sinaloa cartel.
The Gulf and Sinaloa drug mobs are Mexico’s main drug cartels and are constantly at war with each other in various parts of the country, principally for dominance of drug-shipping routes to the US.
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican authorites capture drug lord Sergio Villarreal Barragan "el Grande" - Sep 13, 2010
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Mexican singer kidnapped, shot for refusing to sing - Apr 09, 2012
- Mexican federal police arrest drug kingpin Edgar Valdez Villareal - Aug 31, 2010
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Army finds mass graves in Mexico - Jul 16, 2010
- Severed head left at tomb of Mexican drug lord - Jan 19, 2010
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- 6 policemen kidnapped in Mexican city - Mar 12, 2011
- Mexico Navy arrests suspected drug kingpin - Sep 13, 2010
- Kidnapped Mexican mayor found dead - Jun 29, 2012
- Mexican gunman accused of over 100 killings arrested - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: criminal group, deserters, drug cartels, efe news agency, executioner, gulf cartel, henchman, hired killers, los zetas, mexico city, mexico mexico, military units, mobs, notorious drug cartel, nuevo leon, oaxaca, police operation, rangel, shipping routes, sinaloa cartel