Seven die in China kindergarten attack (Lead)May 12th, 2010 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 12 (IANS) At least six children and a teacher were hacked to death and 20 injured Wednesday morning at a kindergarten in northwest China’s Shaanxi province, authorities said.
The incident happened at about 8 a.m. at a kindergarten in Nanzheng county of Hanzhong city, said Liu Xiaoming, a publicity official in Hanzhong.
Liu had earlier said seven children were killed, but later told Xinhua that a teacher was among the dead.
“The murderer has killed himself,” said Wu Xiaoyan, a publicity official in Nanzheng.
The attacker was a man who lived close to the kindergarten in Nanzheng county near Shaanxi’s Hanzhong city, a spokesperson for the county government told DPA.
There has been a string of attacks against kindergarten and primary schoolchildren in China since March.
Mentally-unstable 41-year-old doctor, Zheng Minsheng, who stabbed eight schoolchildren to death in Fujian province’s Nanping Experimental Elementary School March 23, admitted in court that he “intentionally” killed them. Zheng earlier said he wanted to stab more than 30 children.
Twenty-eight children were stabbed April 29 by a 47-year-old unemployed man at Zhongxin Kindergarten in Taixing city in Jiangsu province. A day before that, 16 primary school students were stabbed by a mentally-unstable 33-year-old man at the Leicheng First Primary School in Guangdong province’s Leizhou city.
A farmer from Shangzhuang village in Shandong province, immolated himself April 30 after viciously hitting five kindergarten children and a teacher with a hammer at a school.
- Nine killed in China kindergarten attack (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- China to ensure security at every school by 2013 - Aug 18, 2012
- Rapid social change led to kid-stabbing spree in China - May 11, 2010
- 44 school kids stabbed in China in 2 days (Second Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- School attacks: China vows to act firmly - May 14, 2010
- Man kills himself after attacking school kids in China - Apr 30, 2010
- China strengthens security in schools - May 03, 2010
- 28 children stabbed in China (Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- Man stabs eight people to death in eastern China - May 09, 2010
- Seven kids killed in China school attack - May 12, 2010
- Chinese man sentenced to death for stabbing 16 kids - Jun 11, 2010
- Seven children hacked to death in China - May 12, 2010
- Chinese man stabs eight school children to death (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- School in China reopens after stabbing incident - Mar 24, 2010
- Chinese man sentenced to death for knifing 16 kids - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: april 29, attacker, county government, experimental elementary school, fujian province, guangdong province, jiangsu province, kindergarten children, liu xiaoming, murderer, nanping, northwest china, school students, schoolchildren, shaanxi province, shandong province, spokesperson, stab, wednesday morning, xinhua