Seven dead in Ghana’s fill station blastJune 24th, 2012 - 7:29 am ICT by IANS
Accra, June 24 (IANS) A total of seven people died after being badly burnt in an explosion which occurred Friday in Ghana’s filling station, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Four people lost their lives and 25 others suffered various degrees of burns after a fuel tank exploded at Axim town, near Ghana’s port city of Takoradi, Friday morning. Three more victims with heavy burns died later, it added.
According to police, the incident occurred when an underground fuel tank containing pre-mix fuel exploded and burst into flames, burning clothes of people present around the facility.
Seven of the victims were airlifted to the Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Centre at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra Friday.
According to hospital authorities, three of the victims with advanced stages of burns died between Friday night and Saturday morning.
“For those brought to us, the least among them had 64 percent burns, while the highest had 97 percent. With burns, once it goes beyond 30 percent or 40 percent then we have severe burns,” said Opoku Ware Ampomah, director of the country’s Burns Centre.
Police were yet to confirm the exact cause of the explosion.
- Ghana President Mills dies following short illness - Jul 25, 2012
- Falling telecom mast kills 2 in southwest Ghana - Nov 01, 2011
- Ghana President John Atta Mills dead (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- 200 killed in Congo explosion (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 03, 2010
- Argentina oil refinery explosion kills 1 - Aug 10, 2011
- 10 killed in Ghana plane crash (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Eight die in as fireworks unit explodes - Oct 25, 2011
- Cholera epidemic kills 11 in Ghana - Apr 05, 2012
- 13 injured in Delhi fire - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian Air Force in Congo evacuates injured in tanker accident - Jul 06, 2010
- Ghana cholera toll rises to 21 - Apr 19, 2012
- Gas station blast kills seven in Lebanon - Jun 07, 2011
- India evacuates 44 more from Abidjan - Apr 18, 2011
- Pakistani child killed in firecracker blast - Jun 16, 2012
- Three pharma plant workers injured - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: clothes, degrees of burns, exact cause, explosion, filling station, flames, friday morning, friday night, fuel tank, ghana, hospital authorities, june 24, korle bu teaching hospital, plastic surgery, reconstructive plastic surgery, saturday morning, severe burns, takoradi, xinhua