Seven charged with causing deadly China fire

July 25th, 2011 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS  

Beijing, July 25 (IANS) Seven people have been charged with direct responsibility for causing a deadly inferno in Shanghai in November last year that killed 58 people.

The 28-storey building in downtown Shanghai, that was engulfed in the Nov 15 blaze, was being renovated at the time of the incident.

Welders Wu Guolue and Wang Yongliang, who were working at the scene, were charged with major liability for serious accidents, the Shanghai Daily reported.

Stray sparks from their welding tools started the blaze at the building that was clad with inflammable insulating material, prosecutors said at the Shanghai intermediate people’s court.

Wu’s welding license had expired when the accident occurred, while Wang never received the required training.

The two pleaded guilty. Wu, however, claimed he did not know the insulating material was flammable.

The other five defendants are accused of bribery and major liability.

A total of 26 other people are facing criminal charges over the blaze. Some of them have received administrative penalties, the government said.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe