Seven arrested in anti-terrorism raid in BritainSeptember 19th, 2011 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 19 (IANS) Seven people, including a woman, were arrested as part of a pre-planned counter-terrorism raid in Britain’s Birmingham city, police said Monday.
A statement released by West Midlands Police said six men, all aged between 25 and 32, were suspected of commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism in Britain, reported Xinhua.
They were arrested at or in the vicinity of their home addresses by unarmed officers.
The woman suspect, 22, was arrested for alleged failing to disclose information about the suspected plot.
“The operation is in its early stages so we are unable to go into detail at this time about the nature of the suspected offences,” said Assistant chief constable Marcus Beale.
“However, I believe it was necessary to take action at this time in order to ensure public safety,” the officer added.
The suspects are currently being held for questioning at a police station in the West Midlands Police area, while searches at some properties are being conducted by specialist teams, the police statement said.
- Six charged with terrorism offences in Britain - Sep 26, 2011
- Four held in Britain on terrorism charges - Nov 15, 2011
- 12 arrested in major UK anti-terror swoop - Dec 20, 2010
- Seven more held in Britain for terror offences - Jul 06, 2012
- Five held in Britain on terror charges - Apr 24, 2012
- British police arrest twelve terror suspects - Dec 20, 2010
- Five held on terror charges in Britain (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- London terror plots: Six held, bus emptied on highway (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Four Britons charged with terrorism offences - Nov 19, 2011
- UK terror plot: Suspects of Bangladeshi origin, but born in Britain - Dec 21, 2010
- British police release CCTV footage of rioters - Aug 11, 2011
- CCTV aimed at Birmingham's Muslim areas to be dismantled - Oct 26, 2010
- Leaflets found with threats against British PM, queen - Jul 07, 2012
- Plot to blow up UK Parliament unearthed - Dec 27, 2010
- UK peer tells lawmakers that significant terror plot foiled by 12 arrests - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: assistant chief, beale, birmingham city, britain london, chief constable, city police, counter terrorism, home addresses, instigation, police area, police statement, police station, public safety, six men, specialist teams, unarmed officers, vicinity, west midlands police, xinhua