Settlements issue just a Palestinian excuse to avoid peace talks, says LiebermanJune 20th, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, June 20 (ANI): Israeli Foreign Minister, Avigdor Lieberman, has accused Palestine of using the issue of settlements as an excuse to avoid negotiations, which would ultimately lead to peace.
“It’s very clear that it’s not the settlements. It’s an excuse for those that try to avoid any peace talks,” The Jerusalem Post quoted Lieberman as saying, before his meeting with the UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon on Friday.
Furthermore, Lieberman said Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was enjoying support from American Jews following his speech on June 14, in which he endorsed the possibility of a two-state solution with a demilitarised Palestinian state.
“We agree on many points,” Lieberman told reporters at a news conference at the United Nations on Friday.
He said it was natural that even close friends - such as the two countries are - disagree.
Lieberman said he discussed a range of issues, from the relationship between the Israel and the United Nations to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
They also touched on the situation in Iran and the “crazy nuclear arms race,” which according to Lieberman, was a threat not only to Israel, but to the entire world.
Lieberman stated that Israel was ready for peace talks with Palestinians - and other countries in the region - and insisted that Israel did not have preconditions to such dialogue.
“We have our position, we don’t have any preconditions,” he said, emphasizing that both Israelis and Palestinians have a right to their positions. “Every side will try to convince the other side,” he said. (ANI)
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
- Israel to reject preconditions for resuming direct peace talks - Aug 16, 2010
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Israel settlement offer 'unprecedented': Clinton (Lead) - Nov 01, 2009
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- No talks until Israel meets its obligations: Abbas - Mar 18, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: american jews, ban ki moon, binyamin netanyahu, close friends, entire world, excuse, israeli foreign minister, israeli palestinian conflict, israeli prime minister, israelis and palestinians, jerusalem post, june 14, lieberman, news conference, nuclear arms race, palestine, palestinian state, peace talks, preconditions, un secretary general