Senior Tamil Tiger rebel killed in fightingMay 4th, 2009 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 4 (Xinhua) Sri Lankan troops have killed a senior Tamil Tiger rebel in northeastern part of the country, officials said Monday.
The army said Thamilendhi was the in-charge of the LTTE’s (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) heavy weaponry division.
He was killed Sunday in a military operation.
The troops also captured an important earth embankment near the Nanthikandal lagoon that was used by the LTTE for defence.
- Sri Lanka troops capture rebels' defence barrier - May 03, 2009
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan police send 'mass grave' ashes for forensic testing - Nov 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka must account for missing rebels: Human Rights Watch - Apr 09, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka protests over LTTE stamps in France - Jan 03, 2012
- Sri Lanka to track down overseas rebel links - Jul 24, 2010
- Troops enter Mullaitivu, LTTE's last bastion (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops enter Tigers' last major bastion (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Pakistan to help de-mining in Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2011
- Final siege on Tigers has begun, says Sri Lanka - Jan 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka warns ex-Tamil rebels against revolting - Jan 22, 2012