Senior Russian military official arrested on embezzlement chargesOctober 3rd, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 3 (RIA Novosti) A senior military officer of Russia has been arrested on charges of embezzlement and abuse of office, investigators said Friday.Russian railway troops’ deputy commander and chief engineer, Lt. Gen. Yevgeny Kornishin, who has been under investigation since April, was arrested after he allegedly tried to influence witnesses, investigation committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.
“Kornishin is accused of embezzling through fraudulent action and abuse of office funds and a two-room apartment worth more than five million rubles ($194,000),” Markin said.
“Investigators have evidence that the suspect pressured witnesses, forcing them to give testimony in his favour,” Markin said.
Kornishin, 55, is also accused of illegally purchasing and storing ammunition, Markin said, adding that investigators were continuing to look into other charges against the general.
- Huge sum stolen from Russia's 2010 Olympic fund - Sep 10, 2012
- Russian lawmaker held for $1.3 mn scam - Apr 29, 2012
- Russian ex-lawmaker put on Interpol wanted list for fraud - May 19, 2011
- Russian ex-official involved in $10 mn fraud - Jun 05, 2012
- Ex-chiefs of Bank of Moscow face theft charge - Feb 22, 2012
- Serial killer faces trial in Moscow - May 23, 2012
- Russian woman throws children from 15th floor - Jun 25, 2012
- Russian space firm accused of $17 mn fraud - Jul 10, 2012
- Russian military doctor held for taking bribe - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia begins probe into bogus election videos - Mar 01, 2012
- Four Iranians get death for $2.3 bn bank fraud - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia to prosecute Polish plane crash plunderers - Jun 08, 2010
- Moscow court acquits Kasparov - Aug 25, 2012
- Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projects - Aug 09, 2012
- Russian woman jailed for killing 17 - Jun 04, 2012