Senior Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrikeJanuary 16th, 2009 - 3:15 am ICT by IANS
Gaza City, Jan 16 (DPA) An Israeli air strike Thursday afternoon killed Said Siam, minister of the interior in the Hamas administration in the Gaza Strip, the al-Quds radio station of the radical Islamic Jihad movement announced.Siam’s brother was also killed in the strike, as was the head of Hamas’ security apparatus, Salah Abu Shreh.
Siam, one of the top Hamas leaders in the Gaza Strip, is the most senior figure in the Islamist movement to be killed since Israel launched Operation Cast Lead against Hamas on Dec 27.
He is considered one of the guiding forces behind Hamas’ violent takeover of the Gaza Strip in June 2007, when gunmen from the movement routed security personnel loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and seized control of security installations in the salient.
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Gaza-bound ship refuses Israeli order to change course (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli Navy seizes Gaza-bound aid ship (Second lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships - May 31, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Hamas unable to pay salaries to its employees - May 03, 2010
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Two Pakistanis aboard Gaza aid convoy attacked by Israel (With 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships) - May 31, 2010
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Israel to ease Gaza blockade - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: al quds, gaza city, gaza strip, gunmen, hamas, hamas leader, hamas leaders, islamic jihad, islamist movement, israeli air, israeli airstrike, mahmoud abbas, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas, radio station, security apparatus, security installations, security personnel, thursday afternoon