Senior Brown aide apologizes for sending ‘juvenile, inappropriate’ emailApril 11th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 11 (ANI): A senior aide of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been forced to apologize for sending inappropriate juvenile emails from a Number 10 account.
The private missives, written by special adviser Damian McBride, are said to feature ideas for potential smear stories about senior Conservatives.
They were apparently sent to Derek Draper, who runs a Labour-supporting political blog, the Daily Express reported.
They have now come into the possession of Paul Staines, however, whose ‘Guido Fawkes’ blog is hostile towards the Government and the Labour Party in general.
“Neither the Prime Minister nor anybody else in Downing Street, except the author, knew anything about any of these private emails. The author of these emails has apologised for their juvenile and inappropriate nature and for the embarrassment caused. All staff will be reminded of the appropriate use of Number 10 resources,” Brown’s spokesman said.
McBride has been in charge of strategic planning at Downing Street since last October, when he was moved from his position as Brown’s political spokesman.
His emails have apparently been touted around newspapers, although none have yet published them.
According to the Daily Telegraph, the emails feature unfounded claims about Tory leader David Cameron and shadow chancellor George Osborne. (ANI)
- Senior Brown aide resigns for sending 'juvenile, inappropriate' email - Apr 12, 2009
- Gordon Brown aide plotted to cripple Tory poll hopes - Apr 13, 2009
- British premier's aide quits over smear scandal - Apr 12, 2009
- Proof surfaces to show dirty tricks website did involve senior UK Labour party leaders - Apr 19, 2009
- How Brown aide went about his Tory smear campaign - Apr 13, 2009
- Brown apologises for aide's `Smear Gate' e-mails - Apr 17, 2009
- Brown voices regret over aide's Tory plot, but refuses to apologise - Apr 14, 2009
- Former Labour ministers blame Brown for e-mail fiasco - Apr 15, 2009
- Petition seeking Brown's resignation crosses 10,000 mark - Apr 27, 2009
- UK PM's ruthless ally Watson - Apr 14, 2009
- "Hurt" Gordon Brown says he can resign at any moment - Jun 20, 2009
- Portman's 'inappropriate' bum digitally covered with bikini in new film - Dec 24, 2010
- Man kills baby, self after wife ends relation - Sep 16, 2011
- Hollywood studios provide website with racy nude snaps, videos - Feb 23, 2011
- Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling star in 'Drunk History Christmas' - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, daily express, daily telegraph, david cameron, downing street, draper, embarrassment, george osborne, gordon brown, guido fawkes blog, inappropriate nature, labour party, missives, political spokesman, prime minister gordon brown, private emails, shadow chancellor, tory leader, unfounded claims