Sehwag and Harbhajan move up in ICC RankingsAugust 4th, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 4 (IANS) Riding on their match-winning performances in the second Test against Sri Lanka, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh climbed up in the International Cricket Council (ICC) rankings. Sehwag, who scored a double century and a half-century in the two innings, moved up ten places to 11th in the batting charts. Sehwag single-handedly rescued India’s first inings scoring 201. He is now the highest ranked Indian batsman in the latest ICC rankings.
Off-spinner Harbhajan, who took a match haul of ten wickets, cleared seven heads to reach 11th position among the bowlers.
Below Sehwag and inside the top-20 are team-mates Sachin Tendulkar (17th), Rahul Dravid and V.V.S. Laxman (joint 18th). Sourav Ganguly is 26th but another big climber is Gautam Gambhir, up 28 spots to 49th.
Anil Kumble remains India’s highest-ranked bowler at ninth while Zaheer Khan (18) is next in line.
Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara, who started the series at the top of the batting table, is now fifth. He dropped one place after the first match at the Sinhalese Sports Club and has slipped a further three places after the second Test in Galle.
The batting list is headed by the West Indies’ Shivnarine Chanderpaul, although he is only narrowly clear of the Australia duo of Michael Hussey and Ricky Ponting and Mohammad Yousuf of Pakistan.
Muttiah Muralitharan is leading the bowlers rankings while spinner Ajantha Mendis is now 39th in the table after just two Tests, having returned match figures of 10-209 in Galle.
Top-10 batsmen (= joint)
1 Shivnaraine Chanderpaul WI
2 Mike Hussey Aus
3= Ricky Ponting Aus
Mohammad Yousuf Pak
5 K.C.Sangakkara SL
6 M.Jayawardena SL
7 Matthew Hayden Aus
8= Jacques Kallis SA
Kevin Pietersen Eng
10 Younis Khan Pak
1 Muutiah Muralidaran SL
2 Stuart Clark Aus
3 Dale Steyn SA
4 Brett Lee Aus
5 Ryan Sidebottom Eng
6 Makhaya Ntini SA
7 Chaminda Vaas SL
8 Shoaib Akhtar Pak
9 Anil Kumble Ind
10 Shane Bond NZ
- Tendulkar rises to fourth in Test rankings, Siddle in top 10 - Dec 30, 2011
- Dravid breaks into top-10 of ICC rankings - Nov 18, 2011
- Sangakkara replaces Tendulkar as number one Test batsman - Nov 29, 2010
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- Dravid moves to 10th place in Test rankings, Sachin drops to 5th - Aug 23, 2011
- Bridgetown stars Laxman, Sharma break into top-10 of ICC rankings - Jul 03, 2011
- Tendulkar wins ICC Player of the Year award - Oct 06, 2010
- Ojha breaks into top-15 of ICC Test rankings, India remain second - Nov 27, 2011
- No Indian in ICC Test team - Aug 30, 2012
- Kohli gets two nominations for ICC Awards - Aug 13, 2012
- Four Indians in ICC's ODI team, Dhoni captain - Sep 12, 2011
- Sachin, Sehwag, Kapil in ODI dream team - Jan 05, 2011
- Strauss, Symonds move up in ICC Test rankings - May 27, 2008
- Tendulkar drops to 23rd in ICC Test rankings - Aug 12, 2008
- ICC Test team: Sachin lone Indian in playing eleven - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: Anil Kumble, indian batsman, international cricket council, jacques kallis, kevin pietersen, kumar sangakkara, makhaya ntini, michael hussey, mike hussey, mohammad yousuf, muttiah muralitharan, rahul dravid, ricky ponting, ryan sidebottom, shoaib akhtar, sinhalese sports club, sourav ganguly, virender sehwag, younis khan, zaheer khan