Security procedures for Michelle Obama tightened after aborted plane landingApril 21st, 2011 - 1:40 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 21(ANI): The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has announced new procedures following the aborted landing of a presidential plane carrying First Lady Michelle Obama.
The plane carrying Michelle had to abort its landing at Andrews Air Force Base on Monday since it came dangerously close to a 200-ton military cargo jet, owing to an air traffic controller’s mistake.
The first lady was returning from a television appearance and other events in New York with Vice President Joe Biden’s wife Jill Biden, and was aboard a Boeing 737- part of the presidential fleet- when the error occurred on the plane’s final approach to the base.
FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said that the agency will start requiring a supervisor to monitor movements of flights involving the Vice President and First Lady, just as the FAA already requires for flights carrying President Obama.
“As of today, we are making the same supervisor oversight requirement for (Vice President and First Lady) flights in the D.C. area and at their destinations where possible,” Fox News quoted Brown, as saying.
The announcement comes as both the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board launch investigations into the incident.
It marked the latest embarrassment for the FAA, which is trying to tamp down growing anxiety over flying after suspending nine air traffic controllers and supervisors across the country in recent weeks, including five for sleeping on the job. (ANI)
- Plane carrying Michelle Obama aborts landing due to serious ATC error - Apr 20, 2011
- Plane carrying Michelle Obama aborts landing after mistake - Apr 20, 2011
- Michelle Obama's Plane flew less than 3 miles to C-17 military jet - Apr 24, 2011
- NTSB launches investigation into incident involving Michelle Obama's plane - Apr 21, 2011
- U.S. FAA issues emergency directive for extra inspections of several Boeing 737 models - Apr 05, 2011
- Michelle Obama booed at NASCAR race - Nov 21, 2011
- Air traffic controller falls asleep at D.C. airport as jets attempt to land - Mar 25, 2011
- Michelle invites Jessica Simpson to sing for troops - Apr 11, 2011
- Jill Biden To Do A Cameo In 'Army Wives' - Jun 24, 2010
- Guest Appearance By Jill Biden In 'Army Wives' - Jun 24, 2010
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- Michelle Obama Visits Haiti To Oversee Haitian Renovation - Apr 14, 2010
- Michelle Obama pays a surprise visit to Haiti - Apr 14, 2010
- Obamas made $1.72 million last year - Apr 19, 2011
- Michelle Obama: Tapes An Appearance For The Oprah Winfrey Show - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: air traffic controller, air traffic controllers, boeing 737, cargo jet, federal aviation administration, fox news, jill biden, joe biden, laura brown, michelle obama, military cargo, national transportation safety, national transportation safety board, president joe, presidential fleet, presidential plane, sleeping on the job, television appearance, transportation safety board, wife jill