Security hiked after western missions in Dhaka receive threatsMay 9th, 2009 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 9 (IANS) Four missions of Western nations have received threats by suspected Islamist militant organistions, prompting Bangladesh government to considerably hike security arrangements.
Those targeted are the US, Britain, Canada and Australia, media reports said.
Unnamed officials spoke of a demand $100,000 and for the release of Mas Selamat Kastari, “German bomb engineer” detained in Johor, Malaysia, on Friday.
They also demanded that the embassies shut down their activities within seven days otherwise they would carry out attacks against them.
Security was beefed up at Baridhara-Gulshan in the national capital’s diplomatic zone located downtown after militants late Thursday night issued threats to blow up four embassies.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner A.K.M. Shahidul Huq told The Daily Star: “Unknown criminals sent faxes to the embassies of USA, Canada, Britain and Australia threatening to blow them up.”
“They claimed to be Jemaah Islamiyah al-Qaeda but we are not sure whether there is any such organisation.”
“Following this, we held separate coordination meetings with those embassies,” the DMP commissioner said.
“Security measures have been beefed up with the deployment of additional forces, increased intelligence vigilance and setting up of police check posts.”
Officer-in-charge of Gulshan Police Station Kamrul Alam Mollah said they have increased the number police check posts to avert any subversive acts.
- 'Plan to attack US embassy in Dhaka hatched in Pakistan' - Nov 08, 2009
- Plan to attack US embassy in Dhaka was hatched in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 08, 2009
- Terrorist nabbed in Dhaka linked to attacks in India - Jul 18, 2009
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Dhaka closes schools, colleges during Ramadan - Aug 13, 2010
- Lightning kills 10 in Bangladesh - Aug 11, 2012
- Five killers of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman hanged (Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Israel embassy security beefed up - Feb 15, 2012
- Saudi embassy official killed in Dhaka (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Bangladesh prepares for Opposition showdown Sunday - Jun 25, 2010
- Five killers of Bangladesh's founding father hanged (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Security alert in Kolkata following Delhi blast - Sep 07, 2011
- ISI claims credit for arrest of 2002 Bali bombings suspect in Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- Security alert in Malaysia after Osama killing - May 03, 2011
Tags: australia media, bangladesh government, check posts, coordination meetings, dmp, embassies, faxes, german bomb, gulshan, johor malaysia, metropolitan police, mollah, police check, police station, security arrangements, security measures, seven days, subversive acts, thursday night, vigilance