Security forces kill 10 militants in Pakistan’s Khyber areaFebruary 24th, 2009 - 3:19 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 24 (DPA) Pakistani security officials Monday claimed to have killed 10 militants in the country’s restive tribal district along the Afghan border.
Helicopter gunships and artillery shells targeted a militants’ location in the Khyber area, which serves as a vital route for supplies for NATO troops deployed in landlocked Afghanistan, said an official from Frontier Corps, the paramilitary troops fighting the Taliban.
“Our forces destroyed their communication system, 15 vehicles and killed 10 of their men,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Extremists of the Lashkar-e-Islam organisation dominate the Khyber district that borders Afghanistan. They assist Taliban militants to launch raids on NATO supply vehicles using the Khyber Pass.
More than 400 trucks and containers have been torched or plundered over the last three months, resulting into repeated disruptions in NATO supplies.
NATO forces rely heavily on supplies of fuel, equipment and other items through Khyber.
According to the US State Department, up to 75 percent of the US military supplies, including 40 percent of the fuel for its troops stationed in Afghanistan, passes through the famous Khyber Pass.
The disruptions in Pakistan have forced the US and its NATO allies to look for new supply routes through Central Asian states and even Iran.
- Pakistani troops kill 18 militants near Afghan border - Nov 24, 2009
- Three killed in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistani forces kill 36 militants in northwest - Sep 07, 2009
- Militants destroy NATO fuel tanker in Pakistan - Mar 01, 2010
- Pakistan closes major NATO supply route through Khyber Pass - Jan 14, 2009
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- 55 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- Roadside bombing kills seven soldiers in Pakistan - Oct 31, 2009
- Militants kill four policemen in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2009
- 46 militants killed in Pakistan - Feb 07, 2009
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- Pakistani troops kill 25 militants, NATO supply tanker bombed (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Pakistan troops kill more than 60 militants (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2009
- Pakistani troops kill 10 militants - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: afghan border, artillery shells, asian states, borders, communication system, disruptions, extremists, fuel equipment, helicopter gunships, khyber district, lashkar, militants, military supplies, nato allies, nato forces, nato troops, paramilitary troops, security officials, supply vehicles, us state department