Security beefed up for Taj MahalJuly 27th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, July 27 (IANS) Security has been tightened near the Taj Mahal in the wake of the bombings in Bangalore and Ahmedabad. The police stepped up patrolling on the streets around the 17th century marble monument, India’s biggest tourist draw.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) protects the Taj Mahal. Armed personnel guard the entire complex. Visitors pass through metal detectors.
Security measures were intensified Saturday night at the Agra Cantonment railway station.
Railway authorities have warned people to be alert against unclaimed luggage. Passengers alighting from trains were searched randomly.
An unclaimed suitcase found in a market complex at Nai ki Mandi here Saturday evening created a scare. The police cordoned off the area and asked shopkeepers to pull down the shutters before the bomb disposal squad found that the suitcase only contained some clothes.
Agra’s cloth merchants are particularly worried over the Ahmedabad blasts. They fear their supplies could be affected.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police Raghuvir Lal, police personnel have been asked to keep an eye on suspicious characters and warn the public not to touch unclaimed objects.
A string of bomb blasts in Bangalore and Ahmedabad Friday and Saturday left at least 40 people dead and more than 100 injured in the two cities.
- Holi banned near Agra monuments - Mar 20, 2011
- Agra battles stray dogs - Jan 22, 2012
- Chopper over Taj causes flutter, ASI files complaint - Dec 16, 2011
- Record holiday crowd at Taj Mahal - Dec 26, 2010
- Bomb scare at Taj Mahal - Jan 04, 2012
- Chopper over Taj rings security alarm (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Oprah visits the Taj - Jan 19, 2012
- Lax security at Taj Mahal - Nov 26, 2010
- Tourists feel cheated on Taj lighting event - Nov 13, 2011
- Delhi on high alert after blast - Sep 07, 2011
- Four injured in blast at Agra hospital near Taj Mahal - Sep 17, 2011
- Delhi blast probe: missing car may hold clue - Sep 08, 2011
- CISF to step up security at Taj Mahal - Sep 21, 2008
- Nationwide terror alert sounded - Dec 27, 2010
- Agra shivers but visitors throng Taj - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: agra cantonment, bomb blasts, bomb disposal squad, cantonment railway station, central industrial security, central industrial security force cisf, cloth merchants, cordoned, lal, mandi, marble monument, metal detectors, railway authorities, saturday evening, security force, security measures, shutters, suspicious characters, taj mahal, unclaimed luggage