Second conjoined Brit twin dies following separation surgeryDecember 27th, 2008 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 27 (ANI): Conjoined twin Faith Williams passed away to be with her sister, Hope, on Christmas Day, three weeks after a separation surgery.
The tiny girls had been born to Laura Williams, 18, and husband Aled, 28, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, on November 26.
The twins, had been joined from the breastbone to the top of the navel, and shared a circulatory system and liver, reports the Sun.
A team of 20 doctors, at Londons Great Ormond Street Hospital, had crossed their fingers hoping to successfully separate the girls, who had had their own hearts and lungs.
Following a blockage in the their intestine, the experts had taken 11 hours to complete the operation on December 2 and 3.
While Hope, the younger twin, had died soon after the medical procedure, owing to her small lungs that were unable to support her breathing, Faith had been predicted to have a 50 percent chance of survival.
Leading surgeon Professor Agostino Pierro explained that Faiths tragic demise had not been not unexpected.
He said: We were always clear that Faith was very sick. She required the full range of skills of our intensive care staff, and underwent a number of further procedures.
However, she succumbed to the complexities of her condition. While this is a sad outcome, it is not an unexpected one. (ANI)
- Brit conjoined twin dies during emergency surgery - Dec 04, 2008
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- Brit teen prepares to become world''s youngest mother of conjoined twins - Nov 23, 2008
- Conjoined Irish Twins Successfully Separated By Doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged in two weeks - May 04, 2010
- Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from Bihar - Mar 31, 2010
- Conjoined twins' family undecided on surgery - Jul 31, 2012
- Irish conjoined twins separated after 14-hour operation - May 16, 2010
- Conjoined Irish twins Hassan and Hussein separated by British doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Hope for conjoined Patna twins after apex court ruling - Jul 19, 2012
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged next week - May 12, 2010
- Separated conjoined twins recuperating in Delhi - Apr 07, 2010
- Bring conjoined sisters from Bihar to Delhi: SC - Jul 30, 2012
- World's most premature baby, born at 21 weeks, goes home healthy! - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: breastbone, care staff, christmas day, circulatory system, complexities, faith williams, faiths, great ormond street, great ormond street hospital, intensive care, intestine, laura williams, liver, lungs, medical procedure, navel, separation surgery, shropshire, tiny girls, tragic demise