Search on for missing chopper carrying Philippine president’s staffApril 8th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, April 8 (DPA) The Philippines Wednesday mounted search and rescue operations for a missing air force helicopter carrying senior staff of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo amid reports that the chopper could have crashed and exploded.
The Bell 412 helicopter, carrying five passengers and two pilots, was on its way to Banaue town in Ifugao province, 270 km north of Manila, from the nearby mountain resort city of Baguio when it went missing Tuesday.
Air Force commander Brigadier General Horacio Lapinid said police, air force and military rescue teams have been dispatched to the area between Baguio and Banaue to look for the missing helicopter.
The US also dispatched two helicopters, which are in the Philippines for joint military exercises, to help in the search.
“So far our search is still negative,” Lapinid said. “We have at least six helicopters involved in the search.”
Lopez Tugong, mayor of Tingoc town in Ifugao, said local residents reported to police that they heard an explosion at the same time the helicopter was supposed to have gone missing.
“According to residents, the helicopter crashed and exploded in an area in Tingoc,” Tugong told a Manila radio station. “I have directed police to go to the area and verify the report.”
The chopper’s passengers were Press Undersecretary Jose Capadocia, Appointments Undersecretary Malou Frostrom, Air Force Brigadier General Carlo Clet, a senior military aide Arroyo, an assistant secretary of the Presidential Management Staff and Clet’s aide.
The officials were on their way to Banaue as an advance team for a scheduled visit of Arroyo Wednesday. The trip was cancelled and senior aides said the president was “shaken” by the news of the missing chopper.
- Wreckage of missing chopper in Philippines found, three dead (Lead) - Apr 08, 2009
- 170 dead in typhoon in Philippines (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Philippine landslides, floods toll nears 200 (Second Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Six killed in helicopter crash in Philippines - May 17, 2010
- Philippines rushes relief to north, typhoon toll 321 - Oct 12, 2009
- IAF to induct latest Russian military choppers Feb 17 - Feb 06, 2012
- Search continues for missing Arunachal CM along Indo-Bhutan border - May 02, 2011
- 11 US tourists missing in Philippines boat capsize - Jan 26, 2012
- Top Philippine official missing after plane crash - Aug 18, 2012
- Massive search operation to locate Arunachal Pradesh CM - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu still missing - May 01, 2011
- 20 Vietnamese held by Philippines for poaching - Apr 13, 2012
- No trace yet of Arunachal CM, search enters fifth day - May 04, 2011
- Wreckage of Arunachal chief minister's chopper found (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- 30 human skeletons found in Philippines - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: advance team, air force commander, air force helicopter, bell 412 helicopter, brigadier general, capadocia, city of baguio, gloria macapagal arroyo, horacio, malou, management staff, military aide, military exercises, missing helicopter, nearby mountain, philippine president, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, presidential management, rescue operations