Search on for 10 missing Haitians in CaribbeanJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
San Juan (Puerto Rico), Jan 21 (IANS) The US Coast Guard has launched a massive search operation for 10 missing Haitians whose boat capsized in the Caribbean Sea Monday, the EFE news agency reported Wednesday.There were 25 people on board the vessel at the time of the accident. An official said two people swam ashore, 12 were rescued by fishermen and one was found dead.
The official added that the Haitian migrants were illegally trying to reach the British Virgin Islands.
Coast Guard units and authorities in the Virgin Islands have been searching for the 10 missing Haitians since Monday.
Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, was hit by four tropical storms last year, leaving hundreds dead and thousands homeless in the aftermath.
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- 10 dead as Dominican boat capsizes - Feb 05, 2012
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Hurricane Earl becomes major category three storm as it nears the Virgin Islands - Aug 30, 2010
- 45 missing as Philippines boat capsizes - Feb 14, 2012
- US Coast Guard seizes 1.4 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 08, 2010
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Hurricane Earl threatens Caribbean - Aug 30, 2010
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- 40 Haitian immigrants drown off Cuban coast - Dec 26, 2011
- 11 US tourists missing in Philippines boat capsize - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: aftermath, authorities, british virgin islands, caribbean sea, coast guard units, efe news agency, fishermen, haiti, haitian migrants, haitians, jan 21, massive search operation, poorest country, san juan puerto, san juan puerto rico, tropical storms, us coast guard, western hemisphere