Scrabulous replaced with Wordscraper by Indian creators (Lead)August 1st, 2008 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 1 (IANS) Kolkata-based Agarwalla brothers have returned on Facebook with Wordscraper after Scrabulous, the popular online word game created by them, was taken off by the social networking site early this week in reaction to a lawsuit filed by Scrabble board-game maker Hasbro. Scrabulous was one of the most popular applications on Facebook, but Hasbro, which owns the Scrabble rights in the US and Canada, complained that the online game infringed on its copyright.
Jayant and Rajat Agarwalla have now created Wordscraper to make it look different from Scrabble.
While Scrabulous used the same rules and point system as Scrabble and featured a board with a similar look, the new word game has a different point system and a board that uses circles instead of squares and can be customised.
Before it was taken down, Scrabulous had over 500,000 users worldwide playing on a daily basis, according to its Facebook page.
Wordscraper too is receiving a positive response as gauged by early user reviews available on the application’s Facebok page. The new game already had about 3,500 users.
“Thanks guys, I knew that you wouldn’t leave us scrabulous addicts stranded for long!” read one typical comment at a page for the new game on Facebook.
It is unclear at this stage if Wordscraper, too, will face legal action.
In UK, where both Scrabulous and Wordscraper were available on Facebook, Scrabble rights are owned by Mattel, which too has started legal action against Scrabulous.
Meanwhile, Hasbro has launched its own official Scrabble Facebook game.
- Scrabulous returns to Facebook with a new name - Aug 01, 2008
- Agarwallas' Scrabulous closes in on famed American rival - Aug 01, 2008
- Popular game Scrabble turns 60 - Dec 15, 2008
- Scrabble bosses slammed over use of abusive words - Aug 29, 2010
- Scrabble rules set to change - Apr 06, 2010
- Facebook to embark on a hiring spree next year - Dec 05, 2011
- Scrabble back as Britains top board game after 15 years - Nov 18, 2008
- 50 Cent to launch gambling game - Apr 25, 2012
- 'Colourful' transsexual wins UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- Mikki Nicholson spells success in UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- Monster India launches professional networking application for Facebook - Oct 04, 2011
- Facebook Used By 100 Million Apple Users! - Aug 24, 2010
- New app to delete drunken messages on Facebook, Twitter - Mar 23, 2011
- Now 'last words' on Facebook - Jan 14, 2012
- Facebook's panic button to report child abuse - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: board game, circles, creators, daily basis, different point, facebok, facebook, game maker, hasbro, jayant, mattel, new game, online game, rajat, scrabble, scrabble board, scrabulous, social networking site, squares, word game