Scottish pilot loses racist culture case against British AirwaysMarch 18th, 2009 - 5:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 18 (ANI): Scottish pilot Captain Douglas Maughan is facing a 4,400 pound legal bill after claims that he was racially abused by his British Airways colleagues were dismissed by an employment tribunal.
Captain Maughan, who said he was called a Jock who should go back to Scotland, was defeated on a legal technicality after he admitted he had not followed the BA complaints procedure.
Captain Maughan claimed he had been continuously victimised by BA since he spoke about the casual racism of older pilots working for the company that calls itself the worlds favourite airline, The Independent reported.
His Asian origin wife objected to hearing the words coon and ragheads used in conversation in the cockpit.
The judge said he could appeal against a written warning he received from BA at a further hearing on June11.
During the Watford tribunal, Captain Maughan said the company had a canteen culture of racism.
He said he tried to alert senior management to the abuse, but was told it was a private matter.
He said one flight officer complained to him that there were too many Asians living in Britain, and also claimed that an English pilot sent him racially abusive letters and emails.
Captain Maughan was given a final written warning from BA. He claims the warning was part of a campaign of victimisation.
A BA spokesman said it would vigorously defend Maughans appeal against his written warning. (ANI)
- British Airways pilot faced victimization for exposing racism against Asians - Jun 12, 2009
- Outrage over horrific racist taunts against locals by Oz soldiers in Afghanistan - Mar 24, 2011
- Racial abuse: Indian-origin policewoman resigns in Britain - Apr 28, 2011
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Netherlands adjusts training after racist abuse by fans - Jun 07, 2012
- Asian-origin RAF medic sues British Military for "Paki" and "terrorist" jibe cover up - Sep 12, 2009
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Indian head teacher sues UK school after 'bloody Indian', 'Paki lover' slurs - Feb 22, 2011
- Johan Cruyff denies making racist remarks against Davids - Nov 22, 2011
- AIFF censures Chettri for praising Houghton - Apr 20, 2011
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Indian football team coach Houghton resigns - Apr 23, 2011
- PCB blames Younis' counsel for delay in hearing against 'indefinite' ban - May 30, 2010
- Senior British Airways pilot exposes racist cockpit culture - Apr 26, 2008
Tags: asian origin, asians, british airways, canteen, cockpit, colleagues, complaints procedure, employment tribunal, english pilot, final written warning, flight officer, jock, legal technicality, maughan, private matter, racism, racist culture, ragheads, senior management, spokesman