Scotland’s iconic ‘Famous Grouse’ to be transformed into steel sculptureSeptember 25th, 2010 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 25 (ANI): One of Scotland’s most iconic and loved brand images, the “Famous Grouse” is set for transformation.
The Edrington Group will build a 20ft statue of the bird in flight - a massive steel sculpture at the gateway to the Highlands as Perthshire’s answer to the Angel of the North.
The red grouse - Lagopus lagopus scoticus - has featured on every label of a bottle of The Famous Grouse since the bird was first drawn in 1896 by Philippa Gloag.
A preliminary model by leading sculptor Ruaraig Mciver from Beltane Studios in Peebles in the Borders has already been made. Now, the Group is seeking permission to build the statue as its “lasting legacy” to the Perth 800 celebrations.
“This is a gift from the Edrington Group to the people of Perth. Therefore they are covering all costs - both the structure and any associated costs regarding installation and maintenance,” The Scotsman quoted a spokeswoman for Famous Grouse, as saying.
Paul Shields, the president of Perthshire Chamber of Commerce, welcomed the initiative, “Perth is most definitely synonymous with The Famous Grouse. But these pieces of art may not be to everybody’s taste. They are not everybody’s cup of tea.
“As to whether or not the people of Perth and the businesses of Perth will think this is a good thing, I couldn’t speak on behalf of them at this point in time. But it is certainly something that would draw attention and interest - there is no doubt about that. And, if it was done tastefully, how could people be offended by it?” (ANI)
- Edrington Group to launch more whisky brands in India - Feb 17, 2009
- Patna to get tallest Gandhi statue on October 2 - Aug 05, 2012
- China raises Bruce Lee to rival NY's Liberty - Aug 18, 2010
- Czechs make giant glass whisky bottle - Aug 18, 2012
- Film on Little Mermaid's journey to China - Mar 29, 2010
- Fans make silver statue of Dr. Rajakumar - Apr 03, 2010
- How Kate Middleton's in-laws-to-be reacted to engagement announcement - Nov 17, 2010
- Madhuri unveils her wax statue in London - Mar 07, 2012
- Now, get Kate Middleton statuette for 199 pounds - Jun 30, 2011
- Messi, Maradona statues in Kolkata - Jun 18, 2010
- Alexander statue leads to controversy - Jun 22, 2011
- Whisker stolen from giant cat statue in Colombia - Apr 11, 2012
- Madhuri's wax statue to be unveiled March 7 - Feb 05, 2012
- Kirk Cameron Refutes Claims That Bird Deaths Are Linked To Apocalypse - Jan 07, 2011
- Kapil Dev, Bhujbal now in wax (with Images) - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: angel of the north, beltane, beltane studios, bird in flight, borders, brand images, cup of tea, edrington group, famous grouse, massive steel, mciver, no doubt, paul shields, peebles, perthshire, philippa, point in time, red grouse, sculptor, steel sculpture