Scot Muslims hit out at severe’ sentence to alleged terroristNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:46 am ICT by admin
Rohan Haksar said he believed the sentence was “very unjust”.
Sana Ashraf, 21, said she had not followed the case, but believed Siddique was “disadvantaged” by being a devout Muslim.
“If you’re Asian, you have a beard and are religious, it’s going to work against you from the start,” the law student was quoted by Scotsman, as saying.
Mohammed Ali, a 21-year-old student, said: “I don’t think it’s good for young people to be made a criminal for motives alone.
“It would be very different if there was a tangible crime, such as being caught with bomb-making material.
“A better way to deal with someone who has an unhealthy interest in something is through education, not by locking them up.”
Another Muslim, who did not want to be named, also criticised the punishment.
“If this man is jailed for eight years, how long will Tony Blair and George Bush be jailed for what they have done in Iraq?” he asked. (ANI)
- Scotland's 'freed' terror-suspect claims being victim of racism - Feb 11, 2010
- Muslim woman jailed for wrongly accusing Hindu of rape - May 09, 2012
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six - Jan 23, 2012
- 'Harry Potter' actress asked judge not to jail brother - Jan 22, 2011
- Two Russians jailed for raping 83-year-old woman - Jul 10, 2012
- Scheme to deradicalise Muslim Scots to be launched - Jun 14, 2009
- Three arrested for murder, robbery - Mar 24, 2011
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Woman jailed for throwing daughter from third floor - Aug 21, 2012
- Russian woman jailed for killing 17 - Jun 04, 2012
- Harry Potter actress' brother pleads guilty to assault - Dec 21, 2010
- Russian drug dealer's accomplice gets 30 years in jail - Jul 29, 2011
- Britain jails nine for bomb plot, terror camp in PoK - Feb 10, 2012
- Plot to kidnap Sachin: Six terrorists get life term (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Pakistani boy jailed for stealing kite released (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: ashraf, beard, criticised, devout muslim, freedom of speech, george bush, karim, mohammed ali, motives, muslims, political interference, rohan, scot, scotsman, tangible, tony blair, unhealthy interest, what they have done