Scores killed in Bangkok nightclub fireJanuary 1st, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Thailand, Jan 1 (ANI): At least 59 people died in a fire thought to have been started by an indoor fireworks display at a Bangkok nightclub during New Year’’s Eve celebrations. According to The Telegraph, nearly 200 others were injured in the blaze at the upmarket Santika nightclub, which is popular with foreign tourists and was full to its 1,000-person capacity.
It is thought that hundreds of partygoers were trapped in the two-storey building and had to trample over each other to flee as flames engulfed the nightclub’’s stage.
The blaze completely gutted the building.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but police suggested that firecrackers could have been the cause.
Almost all the dead were on the ground floor of the club, where the stage was located. (ANI)
- Huge fire in Hyderabad cracker shop - Oct 04, 2010
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Six arrested for Sivakasi fire tragedy - Sep 06, 2012
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- New Year fireworks set off 5,945 blazes in China - Feb 07, 2011
- Russian club owner jailed over blaze that killed 156 - May 15, 2012
- Major fire in co-operative office, no casualty - Apr 12, 2011
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 14 killed in Peru drug rehab fire - May 06, 2012
- Fire at Bangkok Nightclub Santika (Video) - Jan 01, 2009
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Two dead as building collapses in cracker blast - Oct 28, 2010
- Thousands left homeless as jhuggis gutted in Delhi - Jun 01, 2012
- Fire destroys Bata showroom in South Extension - Nov 13, 2008