SCO should find solutions for regional issues: ZardariJune 16th, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Yekaterinburg, June 16 (IANS) Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari said Tuesday that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) should help find solutions to regional problems and proposed a special mechanism for his country’s involvement in three key areas - security, energy and trade.
There was need to find concrete solutions instead of stop-gap arrangements, Zardari said while addressing the ninth SCO summit in this Russian industrial city, adding SCO must help finding solutions to regional problems, Online news agency reported.
Terming Russia and China as the two main regional powers, he urged them to play their role in confronting challenges. Zardari also said the SCO could help end extremism and drug trafficking.
“The menace of extremism, terrorism and drugs haunt us,” he said, adding: “The international community should help find the causes of terrorism.”
Urging greater trade among SCO members, Zardari also sought Pakistan’s full membership of the organisation.
The president also congratulated India Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Iranian President Mehmood Ahmadinijad on their electoral victories, Online said.
The SCO regional grouping was founded in 2001 by the leaders of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Except for Uzbekistan, the other countries had been members of the Shanghai Five, founded in 1996. After the inclusion of Uzbekistan, the members renamed the organization.
India, Pakistan, Iran and Mongolia are participating in the summit as observers.
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
- Pakistan keen for full membership of regional body - Nov 06, 2011
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- SCO against interventionism, says Chinese president - Jun 06, 2012
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- Hu Jintao charts priorities for Shanghai group - Jun 15, 2011
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, causes of terrorism, china russia, concrete solutions, drug trafficking, finding solutions, india pakistan, india prime minister, iranian president, manmohan singh, mehmood, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, regional grouping, regional powers, regional problems, shanghai cooperation organization, shanghai cooperation organization sco, stop gap, yekaterinburg