SCO against interventionism, says Chinese presidentJune 6th, 2012 - 10:23 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 6 (IANS) The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) follows “new trends” in security and development to increase regional cooperation and fight interventionism, Chinese President Hu Jintao has said.
The SCO conforms to the current trends of peace and development and the common aspirations of all people in the region, Hu told reporters from six SCO member states ahead of its two-day summit starting Wednesday here. Hu will chair the meeting.
Hu said the SCO has advocated a new security concept that allows its member states to firmly maintain their interests, explore development paths that are suited to their individual conditions and fight against “interventionism.”
The SCO will strengthen consultation and communication on issues related to the core interests of its member states and enhance coordination and cooperation on major international and regional issues, Xinhua quoted Hu as saying.
India Tuesday renewed its pitch for full membership of the SCO and backed the grouping’s role in stabilizing Afghanistan.
“Indeed, we are looking for full membership. India has conveyed its desire and earnestness in becoming a member of the SCO. We have made our intent known,” India’s External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said.
Krishna arrived in Beijing Tuesday night and will represent Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the summit.
Founded in 2001, the SCO includes China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- India seeks China's support for SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
- India eyes larger regional role with SCO membership - Jun 15, 2011
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- India, China to discuss Iran - Jun 03, 2012
- Hu Jintao charts priorities for Shanghai group - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,