Scientology to be put on trial in France for fraudJanuary 29th, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Jan 29 (DPA) The Church of Scientology, a controversial self-styled religion with many well-known Hollywood adherents, will be tried in Paris on charges of organised fraud, France-Info radio has reported.If found guilty, the church could be declared illegal and disbanded. French authorities have always considered that Scientology, which counts film stars Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its members, is a sect, not a religion.
The organisation is accused of using illicit arguments and procedures to sell its products and services to its members.
The public prosecutor had argued that the charges should be dismissed because the officials of the Church of Scientology did not benefit personally from the organisation’s revenues.
The trial is scheduled to begin May 25.
- Is Tom Cruise going to tie the knot with Yolanda Pecoraro? - Jul 19, 2012
- Jennifer Lopez & husband may have split because of Scientology - Aug 15, 2011
- Russia Bans Scientology Texts - Apr 23, 2010
- Tom Cruise denies claims that Scientology interviewed women for him - Sep 04, 2012
- Scientologists outraged by defector's claims - Feb 08, 2011
- Was the Church of Scientology auditioning women for Tom Cruise to marry? - Jul 09, 2012
- Amy Winehouse to embrace Scientology? - Mar 07, 2010
- Cruise, Travolta's Church of Scientology chairman accused of violence - Jun 23, 2009
- Leniency sought for Indian-American insider trading witness - Jul 17, 2012
- Travolta introduces Lohan to scientology - May 07, 2011
- Scientology helped overcome son's death: Preston - Aug 18, 2011
- Kids rescued from Russian Muslim sect's bunker - Aug 09, 2012
- Suri to study in New York, Cruise hopes to meet her soon - Jul 15, 2012
- John Travolta fears Church of Scientology would retaliate if he left - Jul 27, 2009
- John Travolta's hair-do goes for a makeover within 48hrs - Aug 10, 2010