Scientists say earth makeup differs from sunApril 2nd, 2012 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 2 (IANS) Scientists are rejecting a century-old assumption that the earth has the same chemical makeup as the sun.
“This theory is based on the idea that everything in the solar system in general has the same composition,” said Hugh O’Neill, professor at the Research School of Earth Sciences at The Australian National University and study co-author.
“Since the sun comprises 99 percent of the solar system, this composition is essentially that of the Sun,” O’Neill said.
As it is easier to measure the chemical makeup of chondritic (stony) meteorites, geologists have long used these to more precisely determine the sun’s composition - and therefore the composition of the earth, the journal Nature reported.
From this, scientists have concluded that the earth has a ‘chondritic’ composition, according to a university statement.
“Recent discoveries have shown that the ratio of two of the rare earth elements in earth’s volcanic rocks is higher than in chondritic meteorites,” said Ian Campbell, professor and study co-author from Research School of Earth Sciences.
Campbell spent 20 years researching mantle plumes - columns of hot rock that rise from the boundary of the earth’s core and are the mechanism that removes heat from the earth’s centre.
“However, mantle plumes simply don’t release enough heat for these reservoirs to exist. As a consequence the earth simply does not have the same composition as chondrites or the sun,” he added.
- Earth formed from meteoritic material, say scientists - Nov 14, 2009
- Meteorites created first life on earth? - Aug 09, 2011
- Oldest Earth mantle reservoir discovered on Baffin Island - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Missing' element is clue to planet formation - Feb 25, 2011
- Meteor hunter finds 4 billion years old asteroid fragments - Apr 27, 2012
- Scientists locate new mineral in meteorite - Jun 27, 2012
- Earliest rocks in solar system 'looked more like candy floss' - Mar 28, 2011
- Earth's birth: Inert gases provide clues - Sep 27, 2011
- Poisonous chemical formaldehyde linked to origin of life on Earth - Apr 05, 2011
- Rock defects below earth surface impact quakes - Apr 24, 2012
- Scientists discover new type of mineral in historic meteorite - Apr 06, 2011
- Molten Mars may have prevented life to evolve on its surface - Jul 23, 2009
- First ever proof of star devouring planet - Aug 21, 2012
- Tests identify Earth as moon's sole parent - Mar 30, 2012
- Evidence shows meteors sowed the seeds of life - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,