Scientists isolate gene behind mental retardationJuly 17th, 2011 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, July 17 (IANS) With the help of a new sequencing technology, scientists have isolated a gene linked to mental retardation.
Mental retardation, also called intellectual disability, denotes certain limitations in mental functioning and in skills such as communicating, taking care of oneself, and social skills.
John Vincent, senior scientist at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) and colleagues, identified defects on the gene MAN1B1, among five families having children with intellectual disability, reports the American Journal of Human Genetics.
The individuals affected had similar physical features, and all had delays in walking and speaking. Some learned to care for themselves, while others needed help in bathing and dressing. In addition, some had epilepsy or problems with overeating, according to a CAMH statement.
All were found to have two copies of a defective MAN1B1 gene, one inherited from each parent. There were different types of mutations on the same gene - yet the outcome, intellectual disability, was the same in different families - confirming that this gene was the cause of the disorder.
“This mutation was seen in five families, which is one of the most seen so far for genes causing this form of recessive intellectual disability,” said Vincent, who last year made a breakthrough by identifying the PTCHD1 gene, responsible for autism.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Why autism is more prevalent in boys - Sep 16, 2010
- Gene behind some forms of intellectual disability identified - Dec 16, 2009
- For first time ever, study proves common genetic roots for autism, epilepsy - Apr 09, 2011
- Genetic deletion identified as major risk factor for autism, schizophrenia - Nov 05, 2010
- Single gene mutation behind catastrophic epilepsy - Jul 08, 2009
- Blame defective gene for malformed faces - Jul 06, 2012
- Scientists identify genetic link to suicidal behaviour - Oct 09, 2011
- Gene that can influence a person's risk for developing epilepsy identified - Apr 05, 2011
- More evidence that autism is a brain 'connectivity' disorder - Jan 11, 2010
- First drug to demonstrate therapeutic effect in a type of autism identified - May 21, 2010
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
- Novel gene variants behind autism and mental retardation discovered - May 26, 2010
- Two new genes linked to autism - May 03, 2010
- Genetic defect responsible for epilepsy and mental retardation found - Oct 13, 2010
- Novel way to detect intellectual disabilities - Jun 24, 2009
Tags: addiction and mental health, american journal of human genetics, asian news, autism, camh, epilepsy, genes, having children, indo, intellectual disability, john vincent, journal of human genetics, july 17, mental retardation, mutation, overeating, physical features, sak, types of mutations, vm