Schwarzenegger asks fellow governors to give aid package if they dont need itFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 23 (ANI): California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in a message to fellow Republican governors, who have refused President Barack Obamas stimulus package to gain political mileage, has asked them to give the economic aid to him.
Schwarzenegger praised the economic stimulus package and ridiculed Republican governors like Bobby Jindal of Louisiana and Mark Sanford of South Carolina, breaking with his party.
Governor Sanford says that he does not want to take the money. I want to say to him: Ill take it, Schwarzenegger said on ABCs This Week.
I”m more than happy to take his money or any other governor in this country that doesnt want to take this money, the Daily News quoted him, as saying.
Schwarzenegger, who faces a crushing 40 billion dollar budget shortfall and stands to reap 64 billion dollar from the stimulus, called it a terrific package, and praised Obama for a great job on the legislation.
The 787 billion dollar Recovery Act passed last week without a single Republican congressmans support and just three Republican senators. United opposition to the legislation has become a point of pride for the GOP.
Republican Governor Charlie Crist of Florida, who said that politics should be put aside in hard times, joined Schwarzenegger in supporting the legislation.
Governors Sandford and Jindal, along with Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, say they dont support the spending in the bill and wont take all the money offered for their states.
The amount they are rejecting is a tiny percentage of the total their states will get - meaning they are largely grandstanding to make a political point. (ANI)
- Republicans face the reality check: Obama hard to beat - Mar 01, 2011
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Nikki Haley, daughter of Sikh parents, is South Carolina's first woman governor (Night Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- As America votes, Nikki Haley poised to win South Carolina - Nov 02, 2010
- Haley Barbour: President Obama thinks voters 'stupid' - Mar 28, 2011
- Jindal becomes first Governor to refuse Obamas payout to states - Feb 21, 2009
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Bobby Jindal set to enjoy his big GOP moment in US Congress - Feb 23, 2009
- Indian-American Nikki Haley wins Republican nomination in South Carolina - Jun 23, 2010
- Sarah Palin & Tony Perkins distance themselves from RNC - Apr 02, 2010
- Nikki Haley becomes first Indian-American woman governor (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian-American Nikki Haley begins historic run as governor (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, bobby jindal, budget shortfall, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, charlie crist, congressmans, dollar budget, economic stimulus package, fellow governors, governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor charlie crist, governor haley barbour, haley barbour, mark sanford, mississippi governor haley barbour, political mileage, republican governors, republican senators, terrific package