School bans ‘hazardous’ swim goggles!June 5th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 5 (ANI): A school has banned children from wearing goggles during swimming lessons - claiming they are hazardous.
Teachers and governors at Ysgol Bryn Coch junior school, in Mold, north Wales, said claimed they are a “hazard and can cause permanent eye injury”.
Parents described the ruling as “bonkers”, reports The Daily Star.
And lifeguard trainer Tom Ingram said it could stop children developing their swimming.
He said: “In 10 years of training lifeguards and watching pools I have never known an injury from a pair of goggles.
“In fact, it may be worse for kids not to wear goggles as it will stop them developing their stroke, make them strain their necks and leave their eyes exposed to the pool chemicals.”
Three children have been pulled out of swimming lessons in protest at the ruling.
But one parent fumed: “Why do councils allow children to wear them in public swimming pools if they are so dangerous?
“Why has the school taken this ridiculous stance? It’s health and safety gone mad.”
The advice has been issued by the British Association of Advisors and Lecturers in Physical Education.
Headteacher Lynne Williams insisted: “It has been recognised that goggles can pose a real risk to children and this has been accepted by the governors.” (ANI)
- Parents in UK say goggle ban at school swimming lessons is 'nutty' - Feb 26, 2011
- Thane schoolgirl drowns in Lonavala school pool - Jun 04, 2012
- 110,000 pounds for British school sans pupil - Aug 22, 2010
- Brit school bans pupils from wearing 'dangerous' water goggles! - Jun 30, 2009
- Lollipop man in UK told it's unsafe to escort school kids across road - Nov 30, 2010
- 3 Russians saved from drowning off Goa beach - Sep 10, 2012
- Computer games making Brit kids fall asleep in school - Mar 09, 2011
- Portable Pools pose a drowning risk - Jun 21, 2011
- Joseff Edwards is a student cum school bus driver - Dec 02, 2011
- Kids who self-unbuckle at high risk for serious injuries - May 02, 2011
- Brit school 'bribing' students to come to class - Oct 02, 2010
- Children aged five to be taught sex in Britain - Jun 18, 2010
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- Brit school bans Miss Sexy trousers for being 'unhelpful to learning' - Nov 04, 2010
- Boy drowns to death in school pool - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: 10 years, daily star, eye injury, governors, health and safety, lecturers, lifeguard, lifeguards, lynne williams, mold, north wales, parents, physical education, pool chemicals, protest, public swimming pools, stroke, swim goggles, swimming lessons, tom ingram