Schalke part company with coach RuttenMarch 27th, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Gelsenkirchen (Germany), March 27 (DPA) Schalke 04 parted company with coach Fred Rutten Thursday, just hours after the Dutchman said he had been told by club general secretary Peter Peters that he would not be retained next season.
The 46-year-old Rutten was informed of the decision after a crisis meeting with supervisory board Chairman Josef Schnusenberg, which the club described as “very practical and also at times emotional”.
Rutten’s backroom coaching team of Mike Bueskens, Youri Mulder and Oliver Reck will take control of the first team until a successor has been found.
Former players Bueskens and Mulder had been caretaker coaches last season after the dismissal of Mirko Slomka.
Rutten joined Schalke at the beginning of the season on a contract until 2010, but the team has never looked capable of mounting a Bundesliga title challenge.
Following Sunday’s 2-1 home defeat by SV Hamburg, Schalke are lying eighth, 12 points behind leaders Hertha Berlin.
Schalke also fell at the qualifying stages of the Champions League and failed to make it out of the group stages of the UEFA Cup and were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the German Cup.
Before his removal from the post, Rutten denied he was in talks with PSV Eindhoven and said he was continuing to focus on his job at Schalke.
“I still have a lot of fun working here,” he said.
Schalke are currently looking for a general manager after dismissing Andreas Mueller earlier this month.
Former coach Huub Stevens Wednesday ruled himself out as a candidate to succeed Mueller as general manager.
Former Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn has been interviewed for the job but has made no decision.
- Coach Rutten to leave PSV at end of season - Dec 31, 2011
- PSV fire coach Rutten - Mar 13, 2012
- Schalke humbles Hannover 3-0 in Bundesliga - Apr 09, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat to manage PSV after Euro 2012 - May 11, 2012
- Van Bommel signed by PSV Eindhoven - May 15, 2012
- PSV, AZ through to semi-finals in Dutch Cup - Feb 03, 2012
- Oliver Kahn in talks with Schalke for general manager's post - Mar 20, 2009
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Dutchman Stevens to coach Bundesliga club Schalke - Sep 28, 2011
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
- Manchester City sign Brazilian striker for $39.6 mn - Apr 22, 2008
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Zenit signs young striker from Montenegro - Jun 06, 2012
- Hiddink to coach Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: andreas mueller, backroom, board chairman, coaching team, dutchman, gelsenkirchen germany, german cup, germany march, group stages, oliver kahn, quarter finals, reck, rutten, schalke 04, secretary peter, supervisory board, sv hamburg, title challenge, uefa cup, youri mulder