Schalke defeat Cologne 1-0 in BundesligaMarch 7th, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, March 7 (DPA) Schalke 04 edged Cologne 1-0 in a Bundesliga football match that gave the hosts a breather after a midweek embarrassment in the German cup.
Germany midfielder Jermaine Jones scored the winner Friday with a low shot from the edge of the area 28 minutes into the match after a nice move on the right wing.
Schalke were far from glorious and had no other scoring chance as the fans chanted “Rutten out” in the direction of beleaguered coach Fred Rutten in the closing stages. However, the win at least partly made up for a 0-1 cup defeat against Mainz Tuesday.
Cologne, who had shocked champions Bayern Munich 2-1 a fortnight ago, tried in vain to equalize. Youssef Mohamad missed a cross from point-blank range on the hour and wasted a huge chance in stoppage time as they suffered their first defeat in seven games.
Schalke rank sixth with 37 points, Cologne are 10th with 29 points.
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Dortmund close in on title after beating Bayern - Apr 12, 2012
- Monchengladbach into German Cup quarters - Dec 22, 2011
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Dortmund keep top position in Bundesliga after win against Hannover - Feb 27, 2012
- Bayern slips to third place in Bundesliga after shock loss to Mainz - Nov 28, 2011
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Dortmund keep lead at German Bundesliga - Mar 04, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Bayern Munich continue their Bundesliga domination - Oct 16, 2011
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: coach, cologne, dpa, embarrassment, football match, fortnight, german cup, germany, hamburg, hosts, jermaine jones, mainz, midfielder, munich, point blank range, right wing, schalke 04, seven games, stoppage time, youssef mohamad