Schaaf declines comment on reported talks with WolfsburgMay 9th, 2009 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bremen, May 9 (DPA) Werder Bremen coach Thomas Schaaf refused to comment Saturday on a report he was being lined up to take over at Bundesliga leaders Wolfsburg.
“I have never commented on such things and won’t be doing so now,” he said.
According to Saturday’s Bild newspaper, 48-year-old Schaaf has had “first negotiations” with Wolfsburg, who are seeking a successor to Felix Magath from the next season.
Schaaf Saturday celebrated his 10th anniversary as Bremen coach, making him easily the longest-serving coach in the German league. His current contract expires next year.
Ironically Schaaf’s predecessor at Bremen was Magath, who Wednesday announced he would be leaving Wolfsburg to join Schalke 04 after the season.
Under Schaaf, Bremen have won the league once, the German Cup twice and have been regular qualifiers for the Champions League.
The current league season has been disappointing, but Bremen have reached the final of both the UEFA Cup and the German Cup.
Bild said Schaaf would be attracted to Wolfsburg where - as in Bremen - he would be allowed to work without management interference but would have greater investment opportunities thanks to the backing of carmaker Volkswagen.
In Bremen, he has often had to sell his best players, the latest possible example being playmaker Diego who is reportedly wanted by Juventus and Bayern Munich among others.
- Ballack: From swinging London to the German provinces? - Jun 10, 2010
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Coaching oldies set the pace in the Bundesliga - Dec 20, 2009
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- Bochum, Hertha seek Cup relief after Bundesliga slump - Sep 21, 2009
- Munich lead the Bundesliga charge on champions Wolfsburg - Aug 06, 2009
- Werder win German Cup - May 31, 2009
- Peruvian striker Pizzaro leaves Werder Bremen - May 16, 2012
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- New coaches galore as Bundesliga kicks off - Aug 07, 2009
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Bayern Munich on revenge mission in Wolfsburg - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: 10th anniversary, bayern munich, bild newspaper, champions league, coach thomas, dpa, felix magath, german cup, german league, interference, investment opportunities, juventus, negotiations, playmaker, predecessor, schalke 04, thomas schaaf, uefa cup, volkswagen, werder bremen