Scared UK pupils wear stab-proof vests to protect themselves from gangsJanuary 19th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 19 (ANI): Terrified of gang violence in schools, many kids in the UK are wearing stab-proof vests to protect themselves, according to a new report.
According to the Independent, teachers at one school where pupils are said to be “seriously involved in gangs” were “aware of young people wearing bullet-proof/stab-proof vests in school”.
It is believed that many students as young as 16 are involved in gangs and the number has significantly doubled in the past five years.
The report commissioned by the NASUWT teachers” union showed that primary school kids, as young as nine, are becoming involved with gangs used as “runners” and “couriers” to ferry messages by older members.
“Some of the case study schools felt the problem had increased over the last few years with gangs becoming more dangerous involving children at a younger age,” The Australian quoted the research as stating.
Some of the pupils have even started carrying weapons in school.
The most common weapons included BB air pistols and batons and even a meat cleaver.
One pupil told researchers he was wearing body armour because of “needing to”, although attacks were more likely to take place on the way to and from school.
The report suggests several measures to lessen the impact of gang involvement, such as sending children on prison visits to see the effect of loss of liberty. (ANI)
- Britain's ruthless child gangsters trained to mutilate at seven - May 09, 2010
- Parents responsible for kid's bad behaviour: Survey - Apr 24, 2011
- Computer games could be turning your kid violent - Jul 26, 2012
- UK Muslim schools' pupils taught Hindus have 'no intellect', they 'drink cow p***' - Feb 13, 2011
- Britain prepares to discipline schoolchildren - Sep 02, 2011
- British teachers wish to prosecute students - Apr 09, 2012
- UK teachers buying body armour to deal with punches, bites in classrooms! - Apr 16, 2009
- Computer games making Brit kids fall asleep in school - Mar 09, 2011
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- Chennai school alumni care for teachers' hearts - Feb 17, 2012
- British teachers can now frisk students - Nov 21, 2010
- British teachers want toilet-trained pupils - Feb 08, 2012
- Aussie kids as young as 5 taking up chess in school - Sep 23, 2010
- Brit pupils as young as six subject teachers to sexual abuse - Aug 16, 2010
- Brit kids told to use phones, MP3 players, gaming devices in class! - Oct 14, 2009
Tags: air pistols, batons, body armour, bullet proof, case study schools, couriers, gang involvement, gang violence in schools, gangs, independent teachers, jan 19, meat cleaver, nasuwt, prison visits, pupil, school kids, stab proof vests, teachers union, uk pupils, violence in schools