Saudi woman attacks cop who stopped her for walking with man (Lead)May 19th, 2010 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 19 (IANS) A Saudi religious policeman who stopped a young woman for walking with a man in an amusement park in Saudi Arabia received a rude shock - the woman repeatedly hit him, a British daily reported.
The policeman was from the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice. The incident took place in the Saudi Arabia’s eastern city of Hofuf Mubarraz.
He asked the man and the woman, who was in her mid-20s, who they were and their relationship with one another, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
This was too much for the man, who collapsed.
Even before the policeman could react, the woman began hitting him. She punched him repeatedly on the head and upper torso.
The policeman had to be taken to hospital after suffering severe bruises.
Unmarried men and women are not allowed to mix under Saudi Arabia’s strict Islamic rules.
“People are fed up with these religious police, and now they have to pay the price for the humiliation they put people through for years and years,” Media Line news agency quoted Saudi human rights activist Wajiha Al Huwaidar as saying.
- Saudi woman hits cop who stopped her for walking with man - May 19, 2010
- Saudi women open fire, punch 'religious police' officers - May 23, 2010
- Saudi women with attractive eyes may be forced to cover them - Nov 19, 2011
- Saudi woman confronts police over painted nails - May 26, 2012
- Saudi Arabia bans all things red in run-up to V-Day - Feb 12, 2010
- Russian cop beats lover to death - Apr 25, 2012
- Saudi ordered to read Quran as wife-beating punishment - May 11, 2012
- Chinese couple held in Paris for murdering another couple - Jun 19, 2012
- Saudi Arabia needs public cinemas, says Riyadh mayor - Feb 21, 2011
- Man jailed for punching pregnant ex-girl friend to abort - Sep 07, 2012
- Saudi woman held for defying driving ban - May 22, 2011
- Saudi 'sorcerer' rapist sentenced to death - Jan 21, 2010
- Sean Bean stabbed in arm? - Jun 15, 2011
- Saba Pataudi becomes first woman patron of Waqf properties - Oct 02, 2011
- I don't think I broke wrestler's jaw: Jackman - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: amusement park, bruises, cop, daily mail, human rights activist, humiliation, islamic rules, line news, men and women, mid 20s, news agency, religious police, religious policeman, rude shock, saudi arabia, saudi woman, unmarried men, upper torso, virtue and prevention of vice, young woman